Botulinum Toxin Injections & Dermal Fillers
What Do You Really Know About Botulinum Toxin…?
Many of us are now familiar with the term ‘Botox’ from TV, press, social media or even conversations we might have with friends or relatives.Every day it gets more and more common that we hear of someone ‘having it done’.
What most people associate it with is that it is prescribed for cosmetic reasons usually around the face to reduce or eliminate lines and wrinkles.
But what the general public are not aware of, are the many medical uses for Botulinum Toxin, what it is, or how it actually works.
What areas can be treated with Botinulum Toxin at Abi Dental?
- Glabella (frown between the eyes)
- Crow’s feet (lines around the eyes when smiling)
- Marionette lines (To lift the corners of the mouth)
- High lip line (gummy smile)
How is it administered?
- Administering Botulinum Toxin is very simple and is a relatively painless procedure. Yet it is vital that a medical or dental professional carries it out.
- A thorough knowledge of anatomy, and of the drug is essential in order to carry it out effectively and know how to deal with complications should they arise.
- As tempting as it is, with the many deals and discounts available, patients should not receive these treatments by non-medical professionals – it’s really not worth the risk.
- It can take effect anywhere from a few days to 2 weeks and the effects usually last 3-4 months.
What to expect on the day
- Before the treatment, any make up will be removed and the area will be cleansed. The product is placed into the muscle with a fine needle. You shouldn’t experience any discomfort. However, if you are sensitive we can use a topical anesthetic cream, although in most cases this is not necessary.
- The treatment itself will take 15 minutes and you can return to your usual activities immediately afterwards.
- After having treatment with Botulinum toxin you are advised to avoid any rubbing of the area and to avoid any beauty treatments e.g. facial massage, Sauna’s and extreme temperatures for up to 2 weeks. You will be required to attend a review appointment 2 weeks post treatment to assess the final results.
What areas can be treated with Dermal Fillers at Abi Dental?
- Mouth corners
- Nasio-Labial (Nose to mouth lines)
- Smokers lines
- Glabella (frown lines)
How long until I can see the results?
The beauty of this product is that the effects are noticeable immediately after the procedure, although the final result will be visible after a few days once swelling has subsided. These effects are long lasting, non-permanent and reversible. Because of this, most of our patients will return for a top up every 6-12 months or so.
Are there any side effects?
Most reactions are generally minimal and temporary. You should expect some swelling and you may have some slight bruising however these reactions are expected to settle down within a couple of days. We always recommend taking Arnica tablets for a few days prior to treatment and a few days after treatment. Arnica cream is also very good to reduce any bruising.
All other rare, although possible side effects can be found within the patient information leaflet which comes with the product. Please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to give this to you.
What to expect on the day
Before the treatment any make up will be removed and the area will be cleansed. We will use a topical anesthetic on the injection sites. You should only experience a small amount of discomfort during the treatment. However, if you are sensitive we can use a local anesthetic although in most cases this is not necessary.
The treatment itself can take up to 30 minutes depending on what area is being treated.
After having your treatment you are advised to avoid any rubbing of the area and to avoid any beauty treatments e.g. facial massage, Sauna’s and extreme temperatures for up to 2 weeks. You will be invited to attend a review appointment 2 weeks later so we can asses the final results. Full written aftercare instructions will be given to you after the treatment has taken place.
At Abi Dental we have been providing these treatments for many years and we have lots of very happy patients who have benefited.If you think you would benefit from this treatment, don’t hesitate to contact us for a FREE Consultation.
Before & After Botinulum Toxin treatment
Before & After High Lip-Line Treatment